It's hate week! And for the first time in many years, Washington has a pulse. And I like it that way. It's much more meaningful to beat a hated rival when there is something at stake, like, last year's Civil War. While UW took a bit of luster of the matchup with a mind-blowing loss to ASU, it should be a fun week. On to the quack!
- Congrats to the Oregon Volleyball team, who beat Stanford for the first time since 1989, and secured a weekend sweep of the bay area schools. The Ducks are off to a great start and area ranked 15th nationally, though will likely move up after knocking off two ranked teams.
- George Schroeder spent a day with Chip Kelly a couple weeks ago. And then he wrote about it. If you haven't read this already, make sure you do, as it gives an excellent look at Coach Kelly and his daily life, including how he interacts with players, other coaches, and fans. After the Boise State debacle, I think any honest Duck fan would admit they were worried after Kelly looked like a deer in the headlights. But after seeing the growth of the team and coaching staff, I could not be happier with Chip Kelly as head coach of the Ducks.
- Adam Jude of the RG also filed a great piece over the weekend, on two redshirting Oregon receivers, Diante Jackson and Tyrece Gaines. While Gaines seems to be struggling with the lack of playing time, Jackson has embraced it, and is working hard as a member of the scout team. I'm especially excited for Jackson. His work effort matches his talent, and he just seems like one of the most likable members on the team.
- Duck Territory has the rest of the recruiting services beaten, and has broken the news that the Ducks have landed DB/LB 3-star commit Isaac Dixon. Dixon is a bit of a "tweener," and could play outside linebacker or safety. Wherever he ends up, the Ducks have done a fantastic job for recruiting talent and versatility, which has led to so much success this season on defense.
- Looking ahead to the Huskies, that Ducks are an early 5.5 point favorite. Just remember, the Ducks have won the last 5 games by at least 20 points.
- It's always good to have another Husky to hate (especially after years of the frustratingly likable Willingham), and the Huskies have given us just such a man! Meet Nick Holt, who Ted Miller took to task yesterday for his antics during the ASU loss. I'm gonna take the ball boy in the "Who will Nick Holt punch first" pool. And then the Raiders will hire him.
After the jump, we have a few videos, including Chip Kelly and Jeremiah Masoli after last week's practice, and an Oregon midseason report card. GO DUCKS!
Chip Kelly after Friday's practice
Jeremiah Masoli after Friday's practice
Inside the Pac, Oregon's midseason report card