First, this is not an overreaction in response to one game. His consistent defensive plan of allowing the other team to freely make it to the red zone, thus preventing the secondaries from being burned, limiting what the opponent's offense can do, thus making defensive play calling easier has frustrated me for years.
Still, I admit Aliotti isn't bad. But, even if he's better than two out of three defensive coordinators, that still means that, in every third game, the opposing team has better execution on the defensive end, even if they don't necessarily have the athletes to take full advantage.
Look at how poorly the "D-Boyz" performed last year, and how well they are doing in the NFL. Defensively, Oregon has had the talent; they have just failed to execute.
Keeping Aliotti will obviously be enough to keep Oregon as one of the top three teams in the Pac-10, but is that really what Oregon's intentions are? To be viewed by much of the country the same as Nevada - an interesting and cute non-contender with a gimmicky but fun offense? Thus, even with Oregon's impressive defensive performances with one blemish this year, I'd like to see Kelly bring in someone new. It's his team; it should be his regime. If Oregon wants to be national championship contenders, they need to evolve offensively.
Before you disagree, consider some of these concerning Aliotti post-game quotes:
- "Defense? Isn't that where they cut a pregnant woman's stomach open to get the baby out? Not really sure how that would have helped us out there!"
- "I call it the spread defense, because when we run it, the other team covers the spread"
- "We were outplayed. They could PASS and RUN. When a FOOTBALL TEAM can PASS and RUN, it's really hard to defend against."
- "There's no 'D' in 'team'"
- "Stats don't decide the game; the score does. Awe! Dammit!!"
- "You want a few defensive stops? Well, I want a pony, but you don't hear me complaining!"
"But Coach Aliotti! We're on defense!"
- "Efense wins championships"
Does a change this off-season really sound that bad?