When I started Tako Tuesdays, it was about one thing: beer. When was the last time I wrote about beer? It's been a while. So today I'm gonna write about beer. What else makes up the foundation of Tako Tuesdays? Sparking conversations about trivial things. Don't bring that football analysis in here Matt Daddy. You can take that down the street to Ken Woody's bar. So that's what Tako Tuesdays is this week. Beer, pop culture musings, and maybe some Keg Stickers.
Beer! Hooray Beer!
The Really Good
Deschutes Hop Henge Experimental IPA - This stuff's crazy good if you're a fan of hop taste (which I know many of you who read this column are). I had this one in a pint glass: great color, nice aroma, and a fantastic taste that changes from beginning to end. A must drink.
Bridgeport Hop Czar - Good Imperial IPA, though I think Tricerahops has ruined Imperial IPAs for me for life. It was surprising smooth for a big boy beer, not a ton of bitterness up front.
Widmer W '10 Pitch Black IPA - Had this in the same session as the Hop Czar, and I liked the Hop Czar a little better. I think I was just confused when I drank it. The color put this expectation in my head of a dark beer, like a porter or a stout, but it's definitely a pale ale. I'm gonna give this one a second chance on its own because I think it's better than I think it is.
Hop Valley Double D Blonde - I like to think I like all kinds of beer, even the fruity light stuff. But I just didn't think this was that great. Had this at the Cooler on Friday night, and it just felt like I was drinking a fruitier domestic lager, like a Coors with more taste. I paid $4 for it too, so that might have something to do with the judgment.
Here's how this works. I'm gonna post 20 quotes from movies or TV. A Keg Sticker to whoever gets the most, first. I'm gonna trust you not to just paste them into Google. That would be cheating. And no one likes a cheater, right A-Rod?
1. I am not a committee!
2. I don't feel the need to explain my art to you, Warren.
3. I'm talking about a dishonest cop, a crooked cop who got caught up in the rackets and got what was coming to him! That's a terrific story.
4. I don't know Lloyd, the French are assholes.
5. You are tearing me apart Lisa!
6. No Donny, these men are cowards.
7. I was the only one who disagreed with the cops - and I had brain damage.
8. I've decided what to do with my life. I wanna be a cleaner.
9. You're just some guy who made me laugh at a party once.
10. Jackie's teammates, doing just an awful job of stabilizing his spine...
11. I don't pretend to be a man of the people. But I do try to be a man for the people.
12. ...we are David and Ruth Laskin. Which one do you want to be? I prefer to be Ruth, but I'm flexible.
13. The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you're already dead. The sooner you accept that, the sooner you'll be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function: without mercy, without compassion, without remorse. All war depends upon it.
14. Just a fly in the ointment, Hans. The monkey in the wrench. The pain in the ass.
15. His brain has not only been washed, as they say... It has been dry cleaned.
16. We're something, aren't we? The only animals that shove things up their ass for survival.
17. We would have injected vitamin C if only they had made it illegal!
18. I am the Napster.
19. You have been weighed, you have been measured, and you have been found wanting. Come back when you're worthy.
20. I hate Vietnam. There's not one horse in this whole country. There's not one horse in Vietnam. There's somethin' basically wrong with that.
Other Pop Culture Musings
Tremé - still awesome. Watch it.
Things I'm loving right now: Modern Family, How I Met Your Mother (very strong season 5), Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations, 30 for 30, NHL playoffs, RamenBox.com, Chewbacca, Trivial Pursuit, Mahler's First Symphony, country gravy, the RH Factor, the ducks that hang around campus like they own the place.
There's no way the Ewoks defeat an entire legion of Stormtroopers. There just isn't. That is why Return of the Jedi is my fourth-favorite Star Wars film. That's right. Fourth.
I haven't given keeerrrttt a Keg Sticker yet? What's wrong with me? Arguably the authority on Oregon YouTube videos, keeerrrttt did it again with his Samie Parker montage. A prost to you sir!
Matt Daddy - 5
Bill Musgrave - 4
Gorbachav5 - 4
JonathanPDX - 3
Addicted to Quack - 3
JShufelt - 3
Takimoto - 2
axemen23 - 2
ntrebon - 1
echo31 - 1
CaDuck - 1
trumpetduck - 1
HoodRiverDuck - 1
QuackinAK - 1
jtlight - 1
benzduck - 1
qrsouther - 1
AllSaintsDay - 1
scudderfan - 1
Mrs. Gorby - 1
MiracleWolf - 1
keeerrrttt - 1