We have a bunch of quack from yesterday's practices, including the news that Coach Kelly will name his starting QB on Saturday. Let's dive right in.
- First, let's breeze through the practice recaps from yesterday: Andy McNamara has brief anecdote on Spencer Paysinger enforcing a punishment for the defense after they failed to make a play during team drills. As was noted yesterday in runfast's recap, Daryle Hawkins saw time at the running back and slot receiver positions on Monday. Chris Courtney gives a slight edge to Nate Costa after Monday, noting that Darron Thomas appeared to have problems handling a few snaps. Moseley, however, discounts the mishandled snaps, citing the large number of reps the players have been taking. Finally, as axemen reported in the quack fix yesterday, Blake Cantu appears to be suffering from a shoulder injury (again).
- As I am sure all of us have heard by now, Chip Kelly plans to name a starting quarterback on Saturday morning. John Hunt also has a blog entry about the promise that Brandon Williams has displayed in his first few weeks as a Duck, while reminding us that he still has a lot to learn.
- Moseley's feature piece in today's Register Guard focuses on the offensive line. Despite the fact that all five starters return from last season, Steve Greatwood has been "tinkering" with the line by swapping C.E. Kaiser and Mark Asper at the right tackle and guard spots.
- Gary Horowitz has a story on the returning depth at wide receiver who will try to make the job easier for whichever quarterback wins the job.
- Ken Goe has piece on new Track & Field assistant coach Jamie Cook, who joins the staff this year after coming over from Penn, where he had spent the last 10 years. Vin Lananna sounds high on Cook, noting that he considered him for a position when he was at Stanford and that he was a considered for the same position last year at Oregon.
There are a few video interviews after the jump, so make sure them check out.
John Boyett after Monday's practice:
Defensive Coordinator Nick Aliotti: