After a season of fretting over the health of KJB, the durability of LMJ, and a very real concern over lack of depth at RB, we find ourselves with truly an embarrassment of riches at the position going into the football Black Hole of late winter/early spring. The Ducks are returning a Heisman finalist, a versatile 1A backup, to highly-rated redshirt freshmen, and bringing in one true RB (Carson) and one...athlete-who-wants-to-play-RB (Thomas). Add to that other new and returning players who can play RB/TZR, and we appear to be loaded. But how do they get onto the field and get reps? I'll list them out and we'll discuss. I won't list players I believe will play mostly at WR.
1) LaMichael James. Will be on every Heisman list to start the season.
2) Kenjon Barner. He will also be in the TZR list. Fast, experienced, great hands, versatile.
3a) Dontae Williams. Big, fast, bruising. The quintessential "change of pace" back.
3b) Lache Seastrunk. Fast, strong, agile, but apparently not ready to play last season.
RS: Tra Carson
TZRs: 1) Kenjon Barner. For all the reasons above. Touches at TZR will free up PR/KR touches for others.
2) Josh Huff. Fast, quick, chiseled, great hands. Will start at WR. Played very well as true frosh.
3) Lache Seastrunk? He has the tools to play here, but how are his hands and his football IQ?
4) De'Anthony Thomas. I have a feeling CK won't be able to resist getting him on the field.
I left out Hawkins, Blackmon, Lyerla, and the others because I think they'll mostly get snaps at other positions (if they don't redshirt, excluding Hawkins of course).
I don't see James carrying over 25 times in a game next season. Certainly not 36 times as against the Tree.
I worry about where Seastrunk's head is, and whether he can do the work and still "wait his turn."
I don't think Chip can resist getting the ball into Thomas' hands.
I think we'll see Barner and Huff all over the damn field.
I think Williams will make a difference near the goal line and in X-and-short situations.
I see returns being handled by Barner, Thomas, and possibly Seastrunk (if ballhandling is improved) as well as Kash, of course.
What do you think?