Scott Olmos-US PRESSWIRE - Presswire
It's "improvement week" for the Ducks, and the rankings and Championship heat is getting turned up.
Another year and another blowout win against the huskies. Now we have to deal with the bye week and going a full Saturday of watching college football without seeing the Ducks. In the meantime, there's quite a bit of quack out there, so let's dive in and see what we can find:
- Coach Kelly doesn't call it a bye week, he calls it "improvement weeks" and the Ducks are focused on improving fundamentals. Looking at this team already half way through the season, you can easily see the improvements. I don't know that it has been mentioned enough, but Saturday was probably the best I've seen from the offensive line.
- New rankings out and the Ducks will be on the sideline next week as the first BCS rankings hit. Not sure if that will help or hurt them at this point, but here is a copy of Adam Jude's Harris ballot which is included in the calculations.
- Speaking of rankings, looks like someone else has issues with Jon Wilner's AP ballot (also, I love that Rickert doesn't spell his name correctly either, it's Jon, not John). We are now entering the time of year where the smallest details will get analyzed and debated as they try and pick the two most beautiful college football pageant contestants to play for the championship. With Alabama, Oregon, South Carolina, Florida, WVU. K-State, Notre Dame and Ohio St still undefeated, there is a chance that 5 teams could end the year with zero losses. Good thing we have a 4 team playoff coming, right?
- Oregon doesn't need to worry about rankings though. With USC most likely on the schedule twice and already sitting in the #2 spot, if they go undefeated, they're probably in the championship game. Oregon needs to concentrate on each week and I'm pretty sure everything will work out. At least that's what Gemmell's bowl projections tell me, so that's what I'm going with.
- If you're looking for improvements on this team, look no further than Will Murphy. This kid has been a lightning rod and a poster boy for all the problems Duck fans have had with receivers the last two year. Recently, Murphy has been seeing a lot more playing time and the ball travelling his way and he's making the most of it.
- Really good to see Josh Huff back Saturday. He'll most likely use the bye week to continue to get healthy and give Oregon another weapon in their offense for the late season run.
- I agree with Goe. Oregon at ASU is the Ducks first real test of the season. Playing on the road at night in front of a hostile crowd with a lot of youth on the team, should be interesting to see how they handle it.
- I could listen to Chip Kelly all day. Here's a video, and you should too.
- With it being bye week, time to check in on a few of the other sports. Boise St isn't a good place for the men's tennis team either. Women's tennis had trouble with the weather in Colorado. Women's soccer picked up a nice win against the Trojans. Finally, if you're not following the volleyball team, what is wrong with you. I really love that the Pac 12 Net exists now too, because I get to watch games like this. The next volleyball match on the Pac 12 Net is Friday at 6:00pm against WSU. Set your DVR now.
That's a lot of quack to get your week started. Just remember:
In fourteen hundred ninety-two
Columbus sailed the ocean blue.
He had three ships and left from Spain;
He sailed through sunshine, wind and rain.
He sailed by night; he sailed by day;
He used the stars to find his way.
A compass also helped him know
How to find the way to GO DUCKS!
Happy Columbus Day!