Spring practice starts begin on Tuesday, and even if we don't have anything to watch until the spring game, we'll sure have plenty to talk about.
- The main topic of conversation this spring will be the QBs. Chip Kelly held a teleconference yesterday (and you can listen to the full thing at GoDucks.TV), and the topic inevitably led to the QB competition. A starter (for any position) will not be announced until the last week in August, so it's business as usual for the Ducks. But despite the loss of Darron Thomas, the coaching staff has full confidence in the QBs, even if they don't have much game experience. Though Bennett has more experience, Kelly had praise for Mariota, saying "You really don’t have to correct him more than once."
- Adam Jude also had a few more notes on the conference call. He noted that three true freshmen will participate in spring practice, and also has a quote from Kelly saying that Kenjon Barner will be one of the top RBs in the country.
- Oregon Baseball's trip to Texas was not very successful. They dropped both games to Texas State, including losing yesterday's contest 7-6.
- Softball's spring break is going a bit better, as they swept a doubleheader with Boise State yesterday.
- Oregon's outdoor track & field season is underway, and so far, so good. Vin Lananna has to balance his athlete's individual goals (with the Olympic trials coming up this summer) with the goals of the entire team. With the Pac-12 so talented this year, the Ducks will be strongly challenged as they try to continue their conference championship streaks.
- Rob Moseley takes a look at what could be a strength of the defense, the linebackers. With so many young players getting some time on the field last year, this position should have some decent depth behind Michael Clay, Kiko Alonso, and Boseko Lokombo.