I don't normally post on here, but after hearing about USC and Silas Redd this whole week, I am forced to post my thoughts and inject a little sanity regarding USC in 2012. Not only are ESPN's nocturnal emissions regarding USC annoying, they are unfounded and I have a few reasons why I believe USC won't win the PAC-12 and maybe finish second in the South.
2. USC has lost at least one game they "shouldn't" have lost every year since they came under sanctions. Aside from a triple overtime loss to Stanford last season, they got hammered 43-22 by Arizona State. I think this trend will continue until USC doesn't have depth issues to worry about.
3. Utah- I know some people who will laugh at me mentioning Utah as a potential problem for USC, but they barely escaped their last contest with the Utes and their showdown is not in LA this season.
4. Oregon- USC won this game by three points last season. This is despite the fact that Oregon's gameplan was to let USC do whatever they wanted for three quarters and try to respond in the fourth. USC knows they didn't get Oregon's best for four full quarters and I don't see this happening again in 2012.
5. Expectations- For many on the USC squad, this is the first year playing with any type of expectations and/or hype. Not saying that their young stars and walk-ons can't live up to said expectations, but if they didn't I would not be surprised.
6. Silas Redd- I think USC is putting too much stock into acquiring Redd. Although Redd rushed for over 1200 yards last season, his numbers are a bit skewed. His 100+ yard games came against Indiana State, Indiana, Iowa, Purdue, Northwestern, and Illinois. Alabama, Ohio State, Nebraska, Wisconsin, Eastern Michigan, and Temple all held Redd under 100 yards. Redd also had at least 12 carries in all his games he was held to under 100 yards except Ohio State, in that game he had 8 carries. I think he helps out in the backfield, but he doesn't get USC over any metaphorical hump. He hasn't performed against marquee competition, that isn't an attack on Redd as a person but it is a fact.
I see USC losing to Utah and to Oregon (possibly twice) for sure and I am sure they will lose at lest one more conference game aside from those two. What do you think?