Highlights (from yesterday's practice recap)
- Rob takes a few moments to discuss the hyper-criticism from fans and the much maligned announcing crew that will be covering the Oregon/Tennessee matchup this weekend. He also has a quote from Frost defending Mariota's lowish completion percentage so far this year.
"He didn't throw one bad ball (on Saturday)," UO offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Scott Frost said today. "He was 14-of-28, but he had to throw about three away, we dropped about six — that's nine — and then he took a couple shots down the field that were low-percentage deals, and we missed them. That's about 12 of the 14. Looking at the tape, he didn't throw one ball that wasn't a good throw."
- Moseley also reminds everyone that Mariota commits very, very few mistakes. Important note: Oregon still hasn't turned the ball over this year. And Mariota was efficient as always, being described by Moseley as "sublime."
- All 3 RBs scored TDs during red-zone drills. Chance Allen continues to impress, with a great play during one-on-one drills.
- Darren Carrington is getting more reps with the ones and twos, and may be looking like another true freshman that could see the field this season.
- De'Anthony Thomas and Ifo Ekpre-Olomu sought each other out during one-on-one drills, but were denied the chance to compete against each other by the end of the period, much to Ifo's chagrin. Man, how fun would it have been to watch that battle?
- Josh Schlicter takes a closer look at Oregon's offensive success against Virginia over at Pacific Takes. He notes that Scott Frost used the "sweep-read" to put Virginia away, as has happened many times over the last few years.
- Ryan Thorburn's piece today in the Register Guard is on Oregon's leading tackler, Derrick Malone. Malone is an academic all-conference selection that is majoring in Journalism/Advertising. It's always great to see players excelling off the field as well as on it.
- Andrew Grief takes a look at Tennessee's own coaching continuity. While they may have only been at Tennessee for a few months, much of the group has been together for about 15 years.
- Chip Kelly is the toast of the NFL this week, and BIll Barnwell has a piece on his debut over at Grantland. Barnwell is one of the best NFL writers out there, and this is another excellent article from him. It's a bit long, so if you have some time to kill this morning, check it out.
- Oregon baseball had media day yesterday, and Horton spent some time listing off the challenges facing the Ducks in 2014.
- Don't forget to head over to Rocky Top Talk. Those guys have been putting up the great content all week, and are a lot of fun to interact with.