It may only be 67 days until football, but quack is still in short supply. Enjoy.
- In basketball recruiting news, it looks like Oregon may have found the final piece to this year's recruiting class in Chip Armelin, a 6'3" shooting guard from Louisiana. Amelin fell off the radar after focusing on football during last summer rather than the AAU circuit and was considering attending a JC school in order to generate interest. Amelin is set to arrive in Eugene later today for a visit in hopes of receiving an offer from Coach Altman.
- Ted Miller has a quick roundup of how recruiting is going across the Pac-10 -- Oregon has only five commits, but is the only school besides USC to have more than one designated as ESPNU 150 prospects.
- Matt Hinton has an article up discussing potential Heisman candidates from the QB position. His requirements for a candidate are:
The profile of a real Heisman-worthy quarterback is easy: He has a) Respectable numbers on an offense with no clear star at running back, b) An MVP-worthy effort in a big game, c) A vague air of "leadership," i.e. generally deferential to reporters and sporting no crazy hair, tattoos, or arrests, and d) A banner season, preferably one ending in the BCS Championship game.Nate Costa earns a mention as a "See also" at the end of the list along with Matt Barkley and a few others.
- Ron Bellamy previews The Prefontaine Classic, which begins this Saturday at Hayward Field. This year, the meet will be run in conjunction with a new prep meet, the Nike Track Nationals. It sounds like it should be another great meet hosted at Hayward, particularly since many of the events are designated as Diamond League events and points earned from those events will be tallied as part of a season-long competition.
- Paul Myerberg of Pre-Snap Read is counting down each team heading into the college football season, and Oregon opponent Tennessee comes in at 66. While many Duck fans expect a big win, Tennessee has a lot of (untested) talent, and a very good defensive coordinator in Justin Wilcox. The game will likely not be as easy as we hope, especially against a team that has nothing to lose.
As always, leave any other newsworthy links in the comments below.