"Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I've ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything -- all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure - these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. ... Stay hungry. Stay foolish." -- Steve Jobs at Stanford University, 2005 Commencement Address
- I'm not a huge fan of weekday games, especially living out of the area. Sure, I understand the whole TV contracts reason but lets just say that the selfish part of me says we can do without it. One major reason has to be the traffic issues that invariably result. Remember to give yourselves extra time to get to the game as this will be the first home game since the students are back on campus. Combine that with some bad weather and you've got some combustible elements. Be safe out there.
- I like the "Fighting Ducks" uniforms for a number of reasons. They are green and yellow, they showcase the mascot and it has a nice reference to Former Oregon Football Coach Jerry Frei. Lets be real with each other for a bit. People will like the uniforms a lot better if we win. I'm not alone in liking them. In fact, someone even makes the claim that the duck is better than the wings on the shoulders.
- Even though we've had our own previews, it's always good to look outside the friendly confines of the ATQ Compound to see what others are saying about the game. ESPN has a nice look back at last years game what that may mean for this year's version. For a more "fair and balanced" perspective Fox gives us the viewpoint from the Golden Bears perspective. Also, we provide a little local perspective on the game. I think people are dismissing Cal a bit too much in this game. Before I PANIC too much, I'll throw out a couple of stats. 1) Chip Kelly has never lost at home as head coach and 2) whenever I worry about a game, we always end up winning and boy am I worried about this one. I'm glad this one's at home.
- Ok, now that I'm good and panic'd, let's review my main concern which is that Cal Bear defense. They lost some NFL-caliber players and inexperience is an issue in places.
- John Canzano has an interesting piece about where Portland ranks as a "Sports Town".
Cal Week means one thing. Break out the THREAT DOWN! Remember, keep them drunk because they are godless killing machines. Go Ducks and beat the sanctimonious enviro-bears!