clock menu more-arrow no yes mobile

Filed under:

Oregon 115, Ole Miss 105: Ducks jump the "land shark" in OT, beat Ole Miss

Oregon's balanced attack overcomes a 39 point output from Marshall Henderson

Spruce Derden-USA TODAY Sports

Forty minutes just wasn't enough to settle this game. Going on the road for the first time this season, the Ducks met Ole Miss Sunday afternoon. With the exception of their game against Georgetown in South Korea, the Ducks have played every game in the friendly confines of Matthew Knight Arena.

The Ducks had to deal with the hot and cold shooting of Marshall Henderson who led all scorers with 39 points and set a school record with 10 made three pointers. It seemed though that the Ducks had an answer every time the Rebels guard put one in from long range.

Henderson's efforts just weren't enough as Oregon came out of Oxford with a 115-105 win. The game marked the third time this season Oregon has gone over the century mark this season as they run their record to 8-0, the best start since the 2006-2007 season.

Johnathan Loyd was effective scoring 25 and tallying 15 assists as he led 6 Ducks in double figures. Mike Moser got in the scoring act in the second half scoring 23 of his 25 after half time. Oregon found their shooting stroke, connecting on nearly 60% from the field which certainly boosted the Ducks to their first road win of the season.

Things looked like they might be coming unraveled for the Ducks midway through the second half as the Ducks fell behind by 6. Richard Amardi's emotions got the better of him as he was called for a technical foul for slamming the ball. A Henderson three put the Rebels up by 6.

Not to be outdone, the Ducks responded with a Loyd 3 to keep the Rebels within arm's reach. From that point, it was a nip and tuck affair as no team was able to get away from the other, especially into the final minute when the Ducks led by 6 with less than a minute to play.

With 39 seconds remaining, Oregon was in control. A missed free throw by Loyd gave the Rebels a chance with only a three point deficit. Jarvis Summers hit the game tying three with 0.8 remaining and with an Oregon dead ball turnover; Marshall Henderson had a chance to win it for the Rebs but his three clanked off the back rim.

The extra period belonged to the Ducks. Joseph Young stole the opening possession's pass and got a fast break dunk to open a 14-4 scoring run to open overtime and put much of the drama away. The Rebels would try to put up a fight late but simply got too far behind to allow their shooters a chance to shoot Ole Miss back into the game.

Oregon's next game will be against Illinois in another neutral site game. They will face the Illini in the Moda Center (Rose Garden) next Saturday the 14th.