It's that time of year again, and we have an awesome fundraising campaign set up for you.
Every year we put together a fundraiser in support of Osteogenesis Imperfecta (OI), or Brittle Bone Disease. A couple of years ago one of our community member's child was born with this disease, and every year we've tried to raise funds to support research, education and support for people that are afflicted with this disease.
This year is going to be the best year we've ever had. Last year we raised over $2,400, and this year I think we can double that. I want to raise $5,000, and to make that happen we have 4 different ways for people to contribute:
1) Our very own Dominic Vieira has already contributed $500 of his own money that was matched by his company for a total of $1,000. Before this fundraiser even started we are already at $1,000.
2) There will be the auction. We have been given some tremendous gifts to donate in support of this cause. Please click on the link to each item below and bid on one of the items:
- Michael Clay Rose Bowl Fumble Recovery Poster
- 2012-13 Oregon Football Framed Photo Collage 17" x 17"
- Two 2013 MBB tickets w/ access to McArthur Club
- $30 Gift Certificate to the University of Oregon Duck Store
- Unused 1995 Rose Bowl shot glass and 1984 Civil War Program
- Football Signed by Fmr. Oregon Players, inc. LMJ, DD, etc.
3) Another member of our community (DuckUntilDeath) has been gracious enough to combine efforts in fundraising to also support Leukemia and Lymphoma. Here is his message:
On June 2, 2013, I will be honoring every person afflicted with blood cancers by running the San Diego Rock N' Roll Marathon. I'll be one of thousands who run with the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's Team in Training. Even if you don't have a personal connection with leukemia or lymphoma, know that 80% of the drugs used in the treatment of all types of cancer were initially tested to treat blood cancer or received funding from the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. Researchers are finding better and safer cancer treatments because of you.
Please visit http://pages.teamintraining.org/sf/rnr13/amillers5f to make your 100% tax deductible donation. Thank you for your support and partnership in this mission.
ATQ and Daniel Flude have been kind enough to allow me to set up a cross donation with the Miracle Wolf Foundation. I will match every dollar donated to my fundraising page with a donation to the Miracle Wolf Foundation, up to $2000 until Sunday May 12th at midnight. Please put "Miracle Wolf Scholarship Fund" in the "Your Message" field, so I know to reciprocate.
4) Finally, there is the donation webpage. If you don't feel like bidding on an item, or don't donate to cancer research in time, you can always donate to the OI cause on its own. Click on the link and enter the amount you would like donate.
This is the hardest piece I have to write every year. I'm used to sitting down in front of my keyboard and letting my emotions, thoughts and beliefs flow out into a post - without a care in the world. I don't care if I get called a putz. I don't care if Ted Miller links to it in his Daily Lunch Links and I usually don't care how many of you read it.
But this post is different. I want you to read it and I want you to act. I care.
I care about this post because there are people out there that struggle with a disease and need our help. This community, and the wonderful people in it, brought this fundraiser to life, and continue to do so every year. I am nothing more than an MC being asked to start the music. But I want you to dance. I want you to feel moved to join in and care as much as I do.
And so far you've never disappointed me. I know this year won't be any different.