No Ducks football today? Seriously? Well, between the midwest snowstorms and the lack-of-quack, my weekend is a complete bust (not at all, really….taking my beautiful fiance out on a fun date tonight, pretty amped!!). But Oregon needs some time to rest and figure out what they’re going to do without senior center Hroniss Grasu and promising tight end Pharaoh Brown. Maybe this is a chance for Johnny Mundt to show us more of what he did against Tennessee last season.
There is one really big game on today. ‘Bama and Mississippi State. Someone is going to go down, and it could very-well be the #1 team in the country. Florida State has a decent chance of losing against Miami, and Ohio State has a respectable opponent in Minnesota. While we won’t see Helfrich pacing on the sidelines today in a green and black striped shirt, or Mariota-the-magician continuing to prove to us that he isn’t human, or Royce Freeman hyping us up for the Ducks post-MM8, we won’t be lacking in gridiron quality.
Happy viewing, my Addicted friends.
(8) Ohio State @ (25) Minnesota (25) – Early game for you Oregonians! The Buckeyes are winners of 8 straight after absolutely dismantling Michigan State in East Lansing last weekend. While Ohio State isn’t expected to lose today, the Minnesota Golden Gophers are surprisingly good this season, coming into this contest with a 7-2 record, and it’ll be a cold one in Minnesota today.
(19) Clemson @ (22) Georgia Tech (ESPN) – Fun fact:Georgia Tech's offense leads the nation in third-down conversions. Clemson has the nation's best defense on third downs.
(4) TCU @ Kansas (FS1) – The Horned Frogs have faced five ranked-opponents in their last six games, and none of their remaining opponents have a winning record. Trevone Boykin is a very popular figure right now, with Heisman candidacy being whispered, but it is hard to overlook the fact that Baylor dropped 61 points on this team.
(1) Mississippi State @ (5) Alabama (CBS) – Arguably the game of the day. Alabama has won 13 straight games at home and are actually favored to win this game, despite the Bulldogs being ranked higher. Dak Prescot can make a major statement with a big showing against Saban and Crew, but I think there is a lot to be said about the amount of experience the Crimson Tide bring. While MSU is currently seen as the darling of college football, Alabama isn’t at all afraid of the hype. This could be a slow, low-scoring dog fight.
washington @ (14) Arizona (Fox) – Pac 12!!! Wouldn’t it be nice if the Wildcats finished strong and met up with a feisty Oregon squad in the title game? Would that revenge not be the sweetest? Who cares is Arizona has gone 2-2 since they humbled us?? We want revenge!!!!
(16) Nebraska @ (20) Wisconsin (ABC) – It’s Big10 football. Nuff said.
Northwestern @ (18) Notre Dame (NBC) – One think I like about Fighting Irish coach Brian Kelly; he isn’t afraid to be truthful to the media, even if it comes off as harsh. Kelly was openly critical of Notre Dame quarterback Everett Golson and his inability to hold onto the football. He’s not protecting the kid or making excuses. After the incredible beating that his team took against Arizona State last weekend, the Fighting Irish could use a victory to boost morale.
(23) Utah @ Stanford (P12) – Chew on this: Utah has a better record than Stanford. Yes, that’s the two-time PAC12 Champions Stanford. But another fun fact; Oregon has recently defeated both of these teams. Combining those two games, Oregon has a total score of 96, and Utah/Stanford has a combined score of 53. GO DUCKS!
(9) Auburn @ (15) Georgia (ESPN) – Two 7-2 SEC teams butting heads, but guess who’s back? Todd Gurley makes his return from autograph-gate!
(3) Florida State @ Miami (ABC) – Our Ducks leapfrogged FSU in the College Playoff rankings this past week, and Seminole fans were less-than-impressed. While I respect the fact that their team hasn’t lost a game in all of last year, or this year, I also realize that they played The Citadel, should have lost to Notre Dame, and have a much weaker SoS than we do. All that said, wouldn't it be great if Jameis Winston got drafted by the Jets?
(6) Arizona State @ Oregon State (ESPN) – Is Arizona State for real? They’ve won five straight, and four of those were ranked opponents. They looked incredible against a shocked Notre Dame team last week. The Sun Devils have the Beavers today, Washington State next week and close at Arizona. And yet somehow, ASU hasn’t won at Corvallis in nine years.