Football, cross country and volleyball, oh my! Fall sports are in full swing in Eugene. Lots to go over from this weekend, so let's get right to it.
- Autzen Stadium is known for being one of the loudest, most hostile environments in all of college football. One Michigan State beat writer wasn't impressed. Mike Griffith of MLive.com accused Oregon for piping in artificial noise from a speaker in the east end zone. If you've ever been to Autzen, you know their sound system is about as high-tech as a $5 radio from Walmart.
- Thanks to a win over the Spartans, Oregon leapfrogged Alabama in the AP Poll, climbing to No. 2 in the nation. The Ducks received 16 first-place votes. Florida State stayed atop the rankings with 38 first-place votes. Michigan State fell six spots to No. 13 following the loss.
- Just when you think things couldn't get any worse for Colt Lyerla, they have. Early Saturday morning, Lyerla was arrested for driving under the influence of intoxicants. Lyerla recently was in the news for an in-depth article with SBNation.com in which he said the only reason he came to Oregon was because a booster promised his family a house and a car. Just hours before his arrest, Lyerla reportedly tried to cut a deal for a tell-all interview with John Canzano, demanding $7,500 for the interview. At this point, Lyerla needs to realize that until he actively seeks out help for his behavior, he'll never play another snap of football in his life.
- The Oregon men opened their 2014 cross country season with a win at the Dellinger Invitational at Alton Baker Park in Eugene. Oregon sophomore Edward Cheserek won the 8K race in 24:26 while fellow Duck Matthew Melancon finished right behind in 24:26. The Oregon women placed third behind Michigan State and Portland as the Spartans saw their runners finish 1-2-3.
- Oregon volleyball kept up its hot start at the Hawaii Tournament, improving to 6-0 on the year. The Ducks defeated St. Johns, Hawaii and New Mexico to stay undefeated on the year. Liz Brenner, Kacey Nady and Frankie Shebby were named to the all-tournament team.
Tweet of the Day:
If Oregon pumped in artificial noise, I'd like to think this is how they did it:
Meanwhile, in the east endzone at Autzen Stadium pic.twitter.com/IaJbbr0wEx— Jonathan Adams (@JonathanAdams) September 7, 2014