Happy Holidays, everyone!
(Have I mentioned that this man is my spirit animal human?)
- No 20 Oregon (11-2) topped Fresno State on Tuesday, 75-63, extending its home winning streak to 33, the third-longest active streak in the country. Jordan Bell continued to show his versatility, pouring in a career-best 23 points to go along with a game-best eight boards and three blocks.
- Looking at next week’s opponents, No. 2 UCLA (13-0) and No. 23 USC (13-0) are two of six undefeated teams remaining in college basketball… The Bruins pulled away from Western Michigan on their way to an 82-68 victory on Wednesday, while the Trojans went 3-0 with wins over Cornell, Missouri State and most recently Wyoming in overtime, 94-92, thanks to a nifty floater by Jordan McLaughlin.
UO welcomes UCLA to Matthew Knight Arena on Wednesday at 6 p.m. PT before hosting USC on Friday at 7 p.m. PT.
- Around the rest of the Pac-12 (*since Wednesday): Washington State (7-5) ended its game against Sacramento State with a 16-7 run to escape with a 74-66 victory on Wednesday… In another midweek matchup, No. 12 Virginia snapped Cal’s (9-3) 26-game home winning streak, 56-52… Staying on the topic of snapped streaks, Oregon State (4-9) halted a five-game skid with a 69-50 win over Kent State on Wednesday… Arizona State (7-6) tied a school record with 18 three-pointers, topping Central Arkansas on Thursday, 98-62… Colorado (10-3) struggled early but pulled away late for a 76-68 win over Eastern Washington on Thursday… Washington (7-5) picked up its third straight win Thursday with a 94-72 victory over Seattle… Stanford (8-4) rebounded from Monday’s 72-49 loss at SMU, taking down Idaho at home Thursday, 86-60… Utah (9-3) played its third game in four days Sunday, defeating Stephen F. Austin, 74-66, to complete the Diamond Head Classic with a 2-1 mark for a fifth-place finish.
- Across the country: No. 25 Notre Dame dominated Colgate on Monday, 77-62, before surprising center Matt Farrell with a reunion with his soldier brother.
- On Tuesday, Iowa refused to shake hands with North Dakota after the visiting Fighting Irish played to the buzzer in their 84-73 loss. Both sides can be defended in this case.
- On Wednesday, No. 7 Gonzaga (12-0) took down South Dakota, 102-65, for its best start in program history… No. 1 Villanova (12-0) routed American, 90-48, for the defending national champions’ 18th straight win… And No. 4 Baylor (12-0) beat Texas Southern, 89-63, to round out the undefeated teams… Grayson Allen cemented his name in villain history by tripping yet another player, as No. 5 Duke used a 20-7 second-half surge to down Elon, 72-61… In one of the most heated rivalries in sports, No. 10 Louisville took down No. 6 Kentucky, 73-70, for the first time since 2012.
- On Thursday, No. 24 Cincinnati dug itself out of a 15-point hole to top Marshall in OT, 93-91… No. 3 Kansas pushed its winning streak to 11 with a 71-53 victory over UNLV.
- Tulsa topped Central Michigan in the Miami Beach Bowl on Monday, 55-10, and is now the first team in FBS history to have a 3,000-yard passer (Dane Evans), two 1,000-yard rushers (James Flanders, D’Angelo Brewer) and two 1,000-yard receivers (Keevan Lucas, Josh Atkinson) in the same season.
- Willie Taggart’s alma-mater, Western Kentucky, topped Memphis in the Boca Raton Bowl on Tuesday, 51-31. Check out this trick play:
- Jamaal Williams rushed for 210 yards and a TD, as BYU held off Wyoming in the Poinsettia Bowl on Wednesday, 24-21.… If you hate defense, you would have loved the Potato Bowl. Idaho beat Colorado State on Thursday, 61-50, marking the third-highest scoring bowl game ever.
- On Friday, Old Dominion picked up its first bowl victory since joining the FBS, edging Eastern Michigan in the Bahamas Bowl, 24-20… Louisiana Tech took down No. 25 Navy in the Armed Forces Bowl, 48-45… And Troy topped Ohio in the Dollar General Bowl, 28-23, for the Trojans’ first 10-win season as an FBS team… On Saturday, Hawaii routed Middle Tennessee in the Hawaii Bowl, 52-35.
FAKE PUNT ALERT FAKE PUNT ALERT!
- And it wouldn’t be a Sunday QF without mentioning Jim Harbaugh, so happy belated to the head man at Michigan!
Happy birthday to the guy who never takes a single day off from the job he loves, or the people he cares about. Xx pic.twitter.com/PGiwaiNIWp— James Harbaugh Jr. (@JamesHarbaughJr) December 23, 2016
All Things Ducks
- Women’s basketball (10-2) wrapped up non-conference play with a 73-70 win over Idaho on Tuesday. The Ducks led by as many as 18 in the fourth quarter before the Vandals (4-6) stormed back to make it a one-possession game. Lexi Bando (17), Maite Cazorla (14) and Justine Hall (12p) led the Ducks in scoring, as the UO bench outscored Idaho’s reserves, 32-5 (and in style points).
Merry Christmas to all, and to all a good night!.. Before I say goodbye, say hello to HI-LIGHTS!