Oregon football is just 10 days away from kicking off the 2017 season vs Southern Utah at Autzen Stadium.
If you’ve been following us on Instagram @eugene_levys_eyebrows, then you’ve been counting down the Duck players of past and present this summer.
We started at No. 99 with Canton Kaumatule and it’s almost hard to believe we’re 10 days away from opening day.
Before Marcus Mariota and after Joey Harrington, nobody made me more of a Duck fan than Dennis Dixon. This is my opportunity to pay some respect to the living legend.
Let’s take a look at 10 interesting facts from two Duck quarterback No. 10’s; Justin Herbert and Dixon:
10 FACTS OF DIXON AND HERBERT
- In his final win with the Ducks, Dixon threw four touchdowns and no interceptions against Arizona State on 11/3/07. During his 10th and final game of the 2007 season vs Arizona, Dixon reaggravated an injury sustained in the ASU game. It was later revealed that he tore the ACL vs the Sun Devils. He would never play for the Ducks again.
- Amid his freshman campaign, Dixon attempted 10 total rushes for the season. He accumulated 40 yards (4.0 YPC) on the ground in 2004.
- Following the 2007 season, Dixon was named the Pac-10 Offensive Player of the Year
- Dixon registered 10 total rushing TD’s between his sophomore and senior campaign. In 2005, the sophomore QB rushed for one score. Meanwhile, as a senior Dixon scored nine rushing touchdowns.
- After being drafted by the Pittsburgh Steelers (5th Round, 2008) Dixon had to wear the No. 2 his first two years with the team. It wasn't until Santonio Holmes was traded in 2010 that Dixon wore the No. 10 at the professional level.
- Herbert made his first college start against No. 5 Washington. However, in his next two starts, the true freshman threw for a total of 10 touchdowns and one interception vs California and Arizona State. He threw seven total over his final four starts of 2016.
- The Eugene native rushed for 10 TD’s during his senior year in high school at Sheldon. He led his Irish team to the 2015 6A state semifinals.
- Justin Herbert’s 10th collegiate start will come on the road vs a vastly underrated Wyoming team in Week 3 of Oregon’s 2017 schedule.
- During his final season in the NFL (2014), Dennis Dixon rushed the rock six times for 10 yards while playing for the Buffalo Bills.
- UCLA (4-1) came to Autzen in 2006 for a Pac-10 meeting with the Ducks (4-1). Dixon only needed to complete 10 passes for 144 yards, two scores, and no interceptions. UO defeated the Bruins 30-20 as Oregon moved to 5-1, while UCLA started a four-game losing skid that day.
Wednesday will feature the No. 9 of LeGarrette Blount. Keep calm, the Ducks are just 10 days away from a new beginning.