Week 3 features the Spartans on San Jose making the trip to Eugene for a date with the Ducks. They reside in the Mountain West Conference.
Head Coach: Brent Brennan
2017 Record: 2-11 (1-8) 2-6 home and 0-7 away
2018 Record: 0-2, 0-1 home and 0-1 away
Key Numbers + Info (2018 season)
OOC Opponents: UC Davis, Washington State, Oregon, Army
Points per game: 19.0
Points allowed per game: 37.5
Avg. yards per rush: 2.5
Avg. yards per rush allowed: 4.1
Avg. rush yards per game: 75
Avg. rush yards per game allowed: 133.5
Rushing TDs: 2 for, 4 against
Avg. pass yards per game: 232.5
Avg. pass yards per game allowed: 433.0
Passing TDs: 3 for, 6 against
Collective Pass Completion Rate: 52%
Collective Pass Completion Rate Against: 64%
- The Spartans are glaringly bad in the pass game. They have been crushed by a margin over 200 yards. While the run game is somewhat closer by a paltry 74.5 yards per game.
- The pass completion percentage heavily tilts in the favor of their opponents as well.
- SJSU allowed UC Davis 2018’s first FCS over FBS upset 2 weeks ago by 44-38 score.
- Washington State beat the Spartans by a ho hum score 31-0 last week in Pullman.
- Thus far, the closest quarter by quarter margin in the fourth where it is 14-7. The farthest margin is in the second quarter where they have been outscored 31-7.
Keys to an Oregon Win
- Repeat. Let’s do that fast start thing from last week again. Go up big early and then sit the starters for the real start to the season next week against Stanford.
- Health. The Ducks were pretty healthy compared to the season opener exiting the game last week. Let’s keep it that way, please?
- Pass game. The receivers need to get going and this game is a good one to start the process as SJSU is horrible against the pass. Also, ball security drills 24/7 for Jaylon Redd. Tyler Shough needs some high quality pass reps instead of what he got last week turning around and handing the ball off.
- Notable former head coaches: Jack Elway, Dick Tomey, Mike MacIntyre.
- Notable NFL alumni: CB Bene Benwikere (most noted for getting cut after being dominated by Julio Jones one game), RB Tyler Ervin, QB David Fales, OL Wes Schweitzer, OL David Quessenberry (member of the Tennessee Titans’ practice squad)
- Current Ducks OC Marcus Arroyo is an alum.
- HC Brent Brennan played wide receiver for UCLA during the mid 1990s.