Day 2 was quite a rainy one so the decision was made to take both practices to the University of South Alabama’s “indoor” practice facility. Tape of the practices were made available on Twitter via the Senior Bowl account. I watched all of it.
Benjamin Solak of The Draft Network had a hilarious parody account of the Day 2 practices
NFL dot com has a recap of Day 2 standouts
- Of the two teams, the Raiders run a more competitive practice than the South does throughout.
- Oregon EDGE Jalen Jelks was in for a majority of reps from the footage that I saw. Reportedly he had a great day.
- Charlotte OL Nate Davis had a great day. He won a rep in one on ones and just owned a guy in team OL vs DL run drills as shown here.
- Another offensive lineman that had a great day was Boston College OL Chris Lindstrom. I noted that he had beat several defensive linemen in one on ones, including a pancake block on star of the show Western Illinois DT Khalan Saunders.
- Speaking of OL, USC OT Chuma Edoga had a great day. He fired off the snap well and in the tweet above, he was involved and dominated his assignment.
- USC CB Iman Marshall had two wins against Ohio State WR Terry McLaurin, who has been having a great week otherwise so far. You can see those reps here
- The freak athlete that everyone has been talking about is Arizona State DT Renell Wren. He had a solid day by all accounts. I noted that he had good penetration and blew up a run play before it got started on one rep.
- Speaking of Wren, he had a loss to NC State C Garrett Bradbury on a rep, however. Bradbury is making a ton of money this week and plays like this will help him
- UMASS WR Andy Isabella is everyone’s #DraftTwitter darling and he had an awesome day, forcing defenders to commit pass interference on a rep and crossing up another with elite footwork + route running like this one
- Notre Dame RB Dexter Williams again was a force of nature to deal with. He’s been really good this week, showing what I’ve seen on tape to be true. He has great footwork and burst as seen here.
- The surprise standout receiver for either team has been Georgia State WR Penny Hart. He’s been dominating during practices so far as seen here.
GA State WR Penny Hart with the James Harden like hesi got #BC S Will Harris flat footed on an in route. #SeniorBowl @BrownsMockDraft just cried tears lol. @CDonScouting @DraftNetworkLLC pic.twitter.com/46aktFsn8k— Joseph Yun (@DuckinNoles247) January 24, 2019
- Two notable plays that caught my eye. The first one is of TCU LB Ben Banogu with a great stack and shed of the OL and forcing the RB outside the tackle where his teammates were waiting. He was being held too. Note the good pursuit by BC EDGE Zach Allen.
The second play is Texas CB Kris Boyd getting crossed up by Alec Wingold of Wisconsin. Ingold is a fullback by trade. Boyd is having a rough go of things here in Mobile. This lowlight won’t help him any.
- Temple RB Ryquell Armstead had a mixed day. He won one and lost one in the one on one pass pro drills. He also won a rep in the pass game.
- Slippery Rock RB Wes Hill had another standout day in each segment. He stood his ground in a pass pro rep. He also won a rep in the passing game while showing good burst and footwork in team run drills. Here’s some highlights of his day
- Miss State LB Gerri Green had a good day as well. He showed well on a pass rush rep against a tight end. Also made a good play by diagnosing the run quickly and stopping it in the backfield.
- West Virginia FB Trevon Wesco had yet another excellent practice, showing that he’s an excellent blocker.
- BYU LB Sione Takitaki was brilliant on his first day here. He didn’t arrive until Wednesday morning. He’s an underrated pass rusher. Here’s a highlight of him
- Texas A&M DT Kingsley Keke had a good day as well. He’s a playmaker. Here’s a highlight of him making a nice run stop with great penetration.
- Here are some highlights that I noticed while watching the practice footage.
First, we have Auburn LB Deshaun Davis getting by a RB with a nice swim move to get to the QB
Second, here’s a clip of SJSU TE Wes Oliver beating his defender off the line with a great feint.
Last not but least, we have NMSU LB Terrill Hanks closing down the gap with a quickness
Today is the last day of practices here in Mobile. I’ll be attending both before I leave this wonderful city. the Day 3 recap will be some time before the actual game on Saturday. There’s also a surprise interview that I had a chance to take part in coming next week as well.