Strong pitching carries Ducks through sweep of St Mary’s in three of four games scheduled. Freshman class continues to impress early on, even in poor conditions.
Ducks 3 - St. Mary’s 2
Final linescore from the Ducks' 3-2 home-opening win over Saint Mary's. @tannerr_smith delivers the walk-off sacrifice fly in the ninth while @goldie623 goes 3-for-4 with two RBI.— Oregon Duck Baseball (@OregonBaseball) February 23, 2019
Cole Stringer gets the quality start on the mound, going six innings with six Ks. #GoDucks pic.twitter.com/UqfOD9uiiP
- Redshirt Junior Cole Stringer was dominant on the mound Friday afternoon against the Gaels, only issuing one run through 6 innings of work. The lone run came in the fifth on a double to left field off the bat of DH Kevin Milam scoring LF Joe Vranesh. Over 6.0 innings of work Stringer allowed 1 R on 3 H, with 6 K and 2 BB.
- With Ducks on the pond Oregon responded quickly. Taking a 2-1 lead in the sixth inning on a bases-loaded two-run single by RF Jakob Goldfarb scoring both CF Jonny DeLuca and 3B Sam Novitske.
- St. Mary’s Marc Goulart tied it up late pinch hitting in the ninth and grounding out to second base, scoring Jacob Talamante. Tied at 2-2, Oregon received some late-game heroics as freshman LF Tanner Smith knocked in Goldfarb with a sacrifice fly to take the home-opener 3-2.
- Goldfarb led the Ducks on offense going 3-4 with 2 RBI’s, scoring the game-winning run.
- Tellacha, Nico (W, 1-0) .2 IP, BB.
Ducks 6 - St. Mary’s 2 (DH)
Ducks go up 2-0 in the series with Saint Mary's with a 6-2 win. @Zavala11Aaron leads the way offensively going 3-for-4 with two RBI.— Oregon Duck Baseball (@OregonBaseball) February 24, 2019
Game two of the doubleheader set for a 5:05 p.m. first pitch. #GoDucks pic.twitter.com/5d4E0hrbBY
- Freshman 3B Kyle Froemke opened up the scoring for Oregon in the double-header. Froemke sent a two-run single to right-center in the bottom of the second, scoring both DH Aaron Zavala and LF Tanner Smith. Zavala added another run of his own in the third inning hitting an RBI single up the left scoring 1B Gabe Matthews.
- Ducks’ SP Ryne Nelson was sensational on the mound, in total command of his fastball and cutter. The lone unearned run St. Mary’s scored during Nelson’s six innings of work came in the fifth off a Vranesh single up the middle, scoring C J.C. Santini who reached on a fielding error by Froemke.
- Zavala earned his second RBI in game 1 of the double-header smacking a single up the middle knocking in DeLuca, giving the Ducks a 4-1 lead.
- C Cameron Campbell blasted a solo shot to left field in the eighth to extend Oregon’s lead to 6-1. That’s his second homer of the year and while he’s only batting .143 through the first two series, he’s shown power when he creates solid contact with the ball. Launch angle is clearly important to this young man.
- St. Mary’s put the final run of the game on the board in a last-ditch effort with a double to right-center from 1B Matt Green bringing RF Andrew Shebloski around to score. Final score 6-2.
- Nelson, Ryne (W, 1-0) 6.0 IP, 4 H, 0 ER, 9 K and 2 BB.
Ducks 5 - St. Mary’s 4 (DH)
Doubleheader sweep. Ducks get a strong effort on the mound from @ckafka16 while @Zavala11Aaron turned in yet another 3-hit game and Brett Walker locked up his first career save.— Oregon Duck Baseball (@OregonBaseball) February 24, 2019
Oregon will go for the series sweep tomorrow at 12 p.m. #GoDucks pic.twitter.com/42YM6jeKil
- The Gaels broke open game 2 of the double-header in the second inning with a Santini RBI double to left-center scoring Green from first-base. St. Mary’s added two more runs in the fourth as SS Conor Thane hits a two-out bases-loaded single to center off SP Cullen Kafka to score 1B Austin Chauvin and Green.
- Zavala has been incredible offensively for Oregon to begin the year with his second consecutive three-hit game. The freshman was the first to get the Ducks into the scoring column with a single to center field scoring SS Spencer Steer from second base.
- Matthews broke the game open in the bottom of the fifth with his first home run of the season, sending a three-run shot over the right-fielder’s head. Ducks take the lead 4-3.
- Oregon plated another runner in the fifth after Matthews cleared the bases with one swing of the bat. Shortly after with bases loaded, Smith reached base on a groundout to the second baseman scoring Goldfarb and extending the Ducks’ lead to 5-3.
- RP Brett Walker earned the save keeping St. Mary’s bats silent though the eighth and ninth inning, giving the Ducks a 5-4 victory. Oregon took the double-header giving them a three-game sweep of St.Mary’s with the cancelation of game 4 due to poor weather conditions.
- Kafka, Cullen (W, 1-0) 6.0 IP, 5 H, 3 ER, 7 K, 3 BB and 2 HBP.
- Walker, Brett (S, 1) 2.0 IP, 0 H, 0 ER, 2 K and 1 HBP.
Game four: Cancelled
STATE OF THE PAC
#6 Oregon State (8-0-0)
Arizona State (7-0-0)
#11 Stanford (6-1-0)
#4 UCLA (6-1-0)
Washington State (2-6-0)
*Rankings determined by D1Baseball.com Top 25
DUCK OF THE WEEK
Zavala has rightfully earned the honors with his second back-to-back three-hit game of the season. Through Saturday’s double-header, Zavala went 6-8 with 3 RBI’s and 1 run scored. Over the first six games of the season Zavala is batting .542 with 13 H, 2 2B and 4 RBI. The freshman is also leading Oregon in OPS (1.202) and SLG% (.625) to begin the 2019 campaign.
Loyola Marymount University (4-3-0)