Miami vs. #8 Florida 7 PM / 4 PM PDT ESPN
- The Canes and Gators renew acquaintances in a not so annual instate rivalry. The winner can claim the toughest state championship in the land provided the winner beats a hapless Florida State squad. Big time athletes all over the field is expected. Miami is starting a redshirt freshman quarterback Jarren Williams over the much talked about transfer Tathan Martell.
Prediction: Miami 37 Florida 27
Miami prospects to watch
Shaquille Quarterman 6’1 235 LB Senior
- The latest in a long line of standout Hurricanes LB surprisingly stayed in a school for a senior season. Versatile athlete that was used some as an edge rusher at times while primarily playing as an inside linebacker. Can cover sideline to sideline rapidly. Quick to diagnose plays and attack downhill.
Johnathan Garvin 6’1 250 EDGE Junior
- A terror off the edge. Can disengage the blocker rather quickly but rather small for an EDGE prospect at just 6’1 250. Doesn’t possess an arsenal of pass rush moves just yet but is learning under great DC / HC Manny Diaz. Should be fun to watch in 2019.
Jeff Thomas 5’10 180 WR Junior
- Simply put, he’s a burner. He can get going in a hurry. Deep speed is tremendous. Great ball skills. He could be one of the fastest receivers in the country. Entered the transfer portal only to come back to the Canes.
Florida prospects to watch
C.J. Henderson 6’1 182 CB Junior
- Great ball skills in addition to the speed. Athletic as all gets out. Frame needs some work. He’s likely to go pro after this season. One of the best corners in the nation.
Jabari Zuniga 6’3 257 EDGE RS Senior
- Has a lot of athleticism in a herky jerky way. A pass rush talent that go up the field in a hurry. Lateral agility isn’t the greatest but he hasn’t been asked to do that much. One of the best EDGE rushers in the country.
Arizona at Hawaii 10:30 PM / 7:30 PM PDT CBS Sports Network
- Pac-12 After Dark shenanigans start early this year out of conference. Dynamic athletes at quarterback Khalil Tate and Cole McDonald start their Heisman campaigns in earnest against each other.
Prediction: Arizona 40 Hawai’i 36
Arizona prospects to watch
Khalil Tate 6’2 207 QB Senior
- Arm talent is there along with the electrifying athleticism but he was wholly inconsistent mechanically. Suffered a bit when he had to read from the pocket. The coaching change last year did not help him.
J.J. Taylor 5’6 170 RS Junior
- One of the best Pac-12 running backs returns for another year. His size will be a question throughout the process should he choose to declare. Could be a specialist at the next level. Similar build to long time NFL veteran RB / Special Teams ace Darren Sproles.
Hawaii prospect to watch
Cole McDonald 6’4 205 QB RS Junior
- Great arm talent and athleticism to get away from messy pockets. He was the darling for late night football watchers for a majority of last season until he got hurt. Should be in a for a big year.