The #11 Oregon Ducks (1-0) trail the Washington State Cougars (1-0) by a score of 19 to 14.
Cristobal’s squad is lucky to trail by a single score after committing three turnovers and allowing 246 yards of offense.
A 57-yard pass to Jaylon Redd late in the second quarter set up a score from CJ Verdell to cut into the lead, but two fumbles and an interception had the Ducks on their heels for most of the first half.
Tyler Shough: 12/18 - 172 YDS - 1 INT - 1 TD - 4 Car - 23 YDS
Jayden De Laura: 13/21 - 168 YDS - 2 TD
TD SCORERS: (UO) Tyler Shough, DJ Johnson, CJ Verdell (WSU) Jayden De Laura, Lucas Bacon, Renard Bell
DUCK YARDS: 228 yards - 172 passing - 56 rushing
COUGAR YARDS: 246 yards - 168 passing - 78 rushing
TURNOVERS FORCED: Ducks: 0 - Cougars: 3 (Int: 1 - Fum: 2)
1ST QUARTER NOTES
- A series of missed tackles from the Duck defense on 2nd down allowed Travell Harris to convert for Wazzu’s first 1st down.
- Pressure forced Jayden De Laura to scramble and throw an incompletion on 3rd-&-long.
- Jaylon Redd carried the ball and gained five yards to begin Oregon’s opening drive.
- Tight end DJ Johnson earned Oregon’s first 1st down with a 15-yard catch and run on the next play.
- Tyler Shough nearly threw an early pick when a Cougar defender tipped the ball and another Cougar nearly came down with it.
- On 3rd-&-5, Shough took the option and picked up three yards.
- True freshman Kris Hutson converted on 4th-&-2 with a nine-yard gain.
- On 2nd-&-4, Shough finds Johnson for a 13-yard touchdown.
Ducks 7 - Wildcats 0
(15 plays, 92 yards, 5:50)
- Big plays from Harris and Deon McIntosh picked up a combined 30 yards for the Cougars to start their second drive.
- A 29-yard run from McIntosh got the Cougs to the Oregon 18-yard line, and on the next play De Laura hit Lucas Bacon for an 18-yard touchdown near the pylon.
- Washington State’s two-point conversion was unsuccessful
Ducks 7 - Wildcats 6
(6 plays, 77 yards, 3:48)
- Wazzu tried the surprise pooch kick but Oregon recovered at the Oregon 45.
- On 2nd-&-1, Travis Dye fumbled the ball. Washington State’s Ayden Hector recovered and returned it to the Washington State 47.
- A play-action pass to Renard Bell picked up 44 yards to reach the Oregon 9. Three plays later, Bell caught a pass in the back of the end zone.
Cougars 13 - Ducks 7
(4 plays, 53 yards, 1:33)
- Oregon’s bad first quarter performance then took a turn for the worse when Shough threw an interception on 2nd-&-10 from the Oregon 38. Hector came down with the pick to force his second turnover of the night.
2ND QUARTER NOTES
- The Duck D was able to force a three-&-out after a second down completion was out of bounds and Adrian Jackson was able to stop De Laura from scrambling for a first.
- A couple of nine-yard runs from Verdell and Shough kicked off Oregon’s first drive of the second quarter.
- The Ducks picked up momentum with an impressive 19-yard reception from Redd.
- But after a handful of good plays, Oregon committed its third turnover when Shough mishandled the mesh in the read-option. Hector, once again, came up with the ball.
- A 20-yard gain from McIntosh got the Cougars in the red zone, but a fumbled handoff and a pair of incompletions forced the Cougars to settle for the 39-yard field goal attempt from Blake Mazza, which was successful.
Cougars 16 - Ducks 7
(7 plays, 35 yards, 3:00)
- Shough converted on 3rd-&-4 with an 11-yard pass to Redd to sustain their proceeding drive. But failed to repeat his succes on the next 3rd-&-intermediate. Oregon was forced to punt after the incompletion.
- Starting at their own 10-yard line, McIntosh picked up 15 on first down to give the drive some breathing room.
- On 3rd-&-3, De Laura found Harris for a 14-yard gain.
- De Laura continued Wazzu’s third-down success by passing to Bell for a 20-yard pass on 3rd-&-4.
- The final Cougar drive of the half eventually stalled at the Oregon 21, but Mazza was able to connect on a 49-yard field goal attempt to add to the lead.
Cougars 19 - Ducks 7
(13 plays, 59 yards, 6:19)
- Mykael Wright returned the proceeding kick to the Oregon 40.
- With under 20 seconds left before the half, Shough connected with Redd on a busted assignment that resulted in a 57-yard gain.
- On the next play, with nine seconds remaining, CJ Verdell pounded in the score from three yards out.
Cougars 19 - Ducks 14
(2 plays, 60 yards, :17)
- The Cougs ran out the clock