The #11 Oregon Ducks (3-0) survived a turnover-riddled shootout against the UCLA Bruins (1-2), ultimately winning by a score of 38 to 35.
Tyler Shough finished 19-of-30 with 334 yards through the air and three touchdown passes and Dorian Thompson-Robinson’s backup threw for 195 yards on 19-of-31 passing, one touchdown and two interceptions.
Demetric Felton was the star of the show, finishing with 167 yards and two touchdowns on 34 carries, while the Oregon rushing attack was held to just 88 yards on the same amount of carries. Luckily, Oregon’s passing attack made up for the ground game by racking up 334 yards and three scores. Devon Williams led all receivers with 123 yards in the air on six receptions, though Hunter Kampmoyer also impressed with his five receptions for 70 yards and a touchdown.
After nearly overcoming a four-turnover performance against Colorado and clobbering an unprepared Golden Bear squad, Chip Kelly and his Bruins traveled to Autzen stadium to take on the undefeated Ducks.
Just like in week one of PAC-12 play, Oregon’s opponent was forced to switch to their backup quarterback due to contract tracing procedure for COVID-19. Redshirt freshman Chase Griffin—a former three-star from Round Rock, Texas—made his first collegiate start.
Oregon took a quick 14-point lead when a pair of Bruin fumbles resulted in touchdown passes to Devon Williams and Travis Dye. But UCLA responded by marching down the field in a 6-play, 52-yard touchdown drive that finished with Demetric Felton in the end zone, then tied the contest with a 20-yard scoop-&-score off a fumble from CJ Verdell.
Travis Dye helped fuel an Oregon drive towards a short Camden Lewis field goal to reclaim the lead, however, Griffin put together an impressive drive that included a conversion on 3rd-and-18 and a 32-yard touchdown pass to tight end Greg Dulcich.
The UCLA defense was able to hold off Oregon’s final drive of the half and a red-hot Griffin tested his luck by trying a deep-shot downfield with six seconds left in the game. Fortunately for Duck fans, pressure from Brandon Dorlus enabled Jordan Happle to take the bad pass 58 yards to the house for the 24-21 lead.
Oregon appeared to be back on track after a 75-yard drive ended with a short touchdown run from CJ Verdell, but UCLA answered with a 75-yard touchdown drive of their own, finishing with Brittain Brown in the end zone.
Once again, Oregon turned a turnover into points when Verone McKinley picked off Griffin, and tight end Hunter Kampmoyer caught his first touchdown of the season on his first catch of the season to cap off a 78-yard drive from the Ducks.
A missed 43-yard field goal attempt from Camden Lewis kept it a 38-28 game in the fourth quarter, until Felton erupted for his second score of the day—an 11-yard touchdown run that left 3:43 in the game. Oregon was forced to punt on their next drive, up by only three points with just over a minute remaining, but the Duck defense managed to narrowly hold on for the lead in the final seconds.
UCLA will play Arizona at home next week, while the Ducks take on the Beavers—who just defeated Cal, 31 to 27—next week in Corvallis at 4 PM.
Tyler Shough: 19/30 - 334 YDS - 3 TD - 11 Car - 31 YDS
Chase Griffin: 19/31 - 195 YDS - 2 INT - 1 TD - 7 Car - 18 YDS
TD SCORERS: (UO) Tyler Shough , Devon Williams, Travis Dye, Jordan Happle, CJ Verdell, Hunter Kampmoyer (UCLA) Demetric Felton , Qwuantrezz Knight, Chase Griffin, Greg Dulcich, Brittain Brown
DUCK YARDS: 422 yards - 334 passing - 88 rushing
BRUIN YARDS: 462 yards - 195 passing - 267 rushing
TURNOVERS FORCED: Ducks: 4 (2 Fum - 2 INT) - Bruins: 1 (1 Fum)
1ST QUARTER NOTES
- Demetric Felton used a nifty spin move to gain 14 yards on the Bruins’ first play of the game.
- But a false start on the next play doomed the drive, forcing the Bruins to punt from their own 43-yard line.
- CJ Verdell picked up five yards up the middle on Oregon’s first play of the game. Verdell then picked up the first down on the next play with a 16-yard reception.
- A sack from Osa Odighizuwa on 2nd-&-11 put the Ducks in a 3rd & long which Devon Williams was unable to convert on the next play, resulting in an Oregon punt.
- Four consecutive plays from Felton helped establish momentum for the Bruins, but Noah Sewell forced a fumble from quarterback Chase Griffin at midfield. Verone McKinley was able to roll and scoop up the ball, returning it 35 yards to the UCLA 19.
- Tyler Shough found Devon Williams in the end zone for the 19-yard score.
Ducks 7 - Bruins 0
(1 play, 19 yards, :07)
- UCLA fumbled the proceeding kick return. Johnny Johnson III recovered at the UCLA 32.
- After an Oregon false start, Shough connected with Travis Dye for a 32-yard touchdown pass on the next play.
Ducks 14 - Bruins 0
(1 play, 27 yards, :16)
- Felton returned the kickoff 32 yards to the Oregon 48.
- A 29-yard run from Kyle Philips on 2nd-&-8 ignited a Bruins touchdown drive that ended with Felton pounding in the one-yard score.
Ducks 14 - Bruins 7
(6 plays, 52 yards, 3:08)
- Oregon went three-and-out on their next possession after only picking up four yards on a Verdell carry.
- Felton continued his big first quarter by picking up 11 yards on first down.
- The last play of the first quarter was a five-yard pass to Phillips to reach 2nd-&-15 after a holding penalty on the Bruins.
2ND QUARTER NOTES
- Sewell sacked Griffin to set up 3rd-&-20, which the Bruins were unable to convert.
- On the first play of Oregon’s next drive, Verdell committed his second fumble of the game, which was returned by Qwuantrezz Knight for a 20-yard touchdown.
Bruins 14 - Ducks 14
- Shough passed to Johnson III for a 31-yard gain.
- Jaylon Redd continued the Duck drive with his first catch of the game, a 12-yard gain.
- Successful carries from Dye helped fuel the offense toward the Bruin red zone, but the drive stalled on 3rd-&-goal at the five-yard line when Shough failed to connect with Johnson III in the end zone.
- Camden Lewis made his first field goal of the season. A 23-yard attempt.
Ducks 17 - Bruins 14
(13 plays, 70 yards, 6:07)
- An 8-yard loss on first down put Griffin in a pickle, but on 3rd-&-18 the first-time starter connected with Philips for a 19-yard gain. Four plays later, he passed to tight end Greg Dulcich for a 32-yard touchdown.
Bruins 21 - Ducks 17
(10 plays, 69 yards, 3:50)
- A targeting call on JonJon Vaughns resulted in the Ducks starting their final drive of the half at their own 34-yard line.
- Some impressive running from Tyler Shough converted a 3rd-&-10 with a 12-yard gain.
- Completions of 12 and 11 yards to Redd and Kris Hutson, respectively, got the Ducks to the UCLA 31.
- Odighizuwa sacked Shough on the next play for a three-yard loss.
- An incomplete pass was first ruled a fumble, but was then rightfully reversed.
- A false start on 3rd-&-13 doomed the drive. Oregon was forced to punt with :56 left before the half.
- With under a minute remaining in the first half, Griffin led his team down the field quickly.
- A Delay of Game called on Adrian Jackson allowed UCLA one final shot with six seconds remaining at the UCLA 44.
- Brandon Dorlus pressured Griffin into a questionable throw, then Jordan Happle reclaimed the Oregon lead with a 58-yard pick six.
Ducks 24 - Bruins 21
3RD QUARTER NOTES
- Oregon started with the ball in the second half.
- Shough picked up some early momentum by gaining 23 yards on a run on 2nd-&-11 that reached the Oregon 47.
- Williams found himself open downfield, and after breaking a tackle reached the UCLA 9 with a 30-yard gain.
- An offside penalty gave Shough a free play in the red zone, which he was unable to take advantage of, but Verdell scored from four yards out on the next play.
Ducks 31 - Bruins 21
(7 plays, 75 yards, 3:12)
- Felton fought through an attempted tackle from Sewell to convert on 4th-&-short at the UCLA 34.
- Griffin converted on 3rd-&-3 with a questionable reception from Dulcich, then before it could be reviewed, the Bruins snapped the ball and Griffin scrambled for an 11-yard gain.
- Felton added to the momentum with a 16-yard carry on the next play.
- Kayvon Thibodeaux appeared to be injured on a tackle, but then returned to play.
- Griffin threw on the move to Chase Cota for a gain of 12 to reach the Duck 10-yard line.
- Two Brittain Brown carries later, UCLA was in the end zone with a two-yard rushing score.
Ducks 31 - Bruins 28
(13 plays, 75 yards, 4:09)
- Oregon went three-&-out on their next drive.
- Sewell went down with an injury and was carted off the field.
- The Bruins elected to go for it on 4th-&-4 at the Oregon 33. Griffin could have picked up the first down with his feet, but instead threw an interception to McKinley, who returned it nine-yards to the Oregon 22.
- Johnson III caught a 19-yard pass on first down, then, after a five-yard loss on a Verdell carry, Shough connected with Williams for a 49-yard catch.
- Tight end Hunter Kampmoyer broke off from the line and caught his first pass in his first game of the season, a 12-yard touchdown.
Ducks 38 - Bruins 28
(5 plays, 78 yards, 2:19)
- Ducks force a three-and-out on the Bruins’ final possession of the third quarter.
4TH QUARTER NOTES
- UCLA was called offside on the first play of the fourth quarter.
- Kampmoyer reached the UCLA 23 with a 26-yard reception.
- The Oregon drive stalled at the UCLA 25, then Lewis badly missed the 43-yard field goal attempt.
- UCLA was forced into their second consecutive three-&-out of the game.
- Kampmoyer continued his run of impressive play by picking up 20 yards on first down.
- Shough added 19 more yards with his legs on the next two plays, but a holding penalty on Johnson III and a sack from Leni Toailoa eventually resulted in a punt.
- The Ducks forced the Bruins to a 4th-&-1 at their own 30, but Brown converted big time with a 27-yard run.
- Felton capped off the 12-play, 90-yard drive with an 11-yard touchdown run.
Ducks 38 - Bruins 35
(12 plays, 90 yards, 3:33)
- Kampmoyer gained 11 yards with his fourth consecutive reception of the game.
- Runs from Verdell and Shough led to a 3rd-&-4 at the Oregon 42, but Kampmoyer was unable to pick up the first down after the catch.
- The Ducks punted from their own 43-yard line, up by three points with 1:17 left on the clock.
- Griffin completed passes of 15 and 13 yards to Philips and Dulcich, respectively,
- Dorlus was called for roughing the passer.
- UCLA was called for a false start on 2nd-&-10 at the Oregon 39.
- Felton picked up three yards on 3rd-&-15.
- Philips fails to catch a pass that would have converted on 4th-&-12 with 19 seconds remaining.
- Ducks with the victory formation.