The #12 Oregon Ducks (0-0) lead the Stanford Cardinal (0-0) by a score of 14 to 7 at the half.
It’s a wet and wild one in Eugene, as the Ducks kick off a strange 2020 season against an ancient foe - the Stanford Cardinal. Despite committing two turnovers, Oregon leads thanks to a rapidly improving defense and a couple of deep passes to Mycah Pittman and Johnny Johnson III.
Tyler Shough: 9/12 - 142 YDS - 1 INT - 1 TD
Jack West: 5/10 - 82 YDS
TD SCORERS: (UO) CJ Verdell, DJ Johnson (STAN) Austin Jones
DUCK YARDS: 222 yards - 142 passing - 80 rushing
CARDINAL YARDS: 170 yards - 82 passing - 88 rushing
TURNOVERS FORCED: Ducks: 0 - Cardinal: 2 (1 Int - 1 Fum)
1ST QUARTER NOTES
- Austin Jones got the Cardinal off to a strong start, earning a couple of first downs with a pair of long runs.
- Pressure on 2nd-&-7 from Isaac Slade-Matautia forced Jack West to miss a wide open Simi Fehoko.
- Stanford’s Jet Toner missed the 48-yard field goal.
- CJ Verdell picked up Oregon’s first 1st down of the season with his first two carries for a total 11 yards.
- Oregon was forced to punt on the next set of downs despite an 8-yard completion to tight end DJ Johnson to set up a 3rd-&-2. Tyler Shough misread the option run and Verdell was brought down with no gain.
- Noah Sewell made his first play as a Duck when he brought down Nathaniel Peat for a loss of two yards, but West got the Cardinal back on the Oregon side of the field with a 38-yard pass to Brycen Tremayne to the Duck 37.
- The Duck defense forced a 4th-and-6 at their own 33-yard line, but Jones caught a pass and juked Nick Pickett to reach the six-yard line.
- Two plays later, Jones rolled over a Duck to score the first touchdown of the game.
Cardinal 7 - Ducks 0
- Shough looked deep down field on the first play of Oregon’s second drive and found Mycah Pittman near the sideline for a 44-yard one-handed catch.
- Verdell helped keep the drive alive by converting a 3rd-&-6 with a 23-yard gain to reach the Stanford 16.
- Once in the Cardinal red zone, Shough picked up nine yards with his legs, then Verdell ran in a 10-yard score on 3rd-&-4.
Ducks 7 - Cardinal 7
- Jones caught a pass in the flat and took it 11 yards to earn the first down and end the first quarter.
2ND QUARTER NOTES
- After further review, it became clear the playclock had struck zero before the snap, negating Jones’ catch and returning the ball to the Stanford 32-yard line. Stanford was forced to punt two plays later.
- Shough through his first career interception on his first touch of the second quarter. It was the first career interception caught by Stanford’s Levani Damuni.
- The coverage of the game switched to ESPN News due to the special coverage of president elect Joe Biden’s speech.
- Jones gave Stanford another quick first down, but some impressive coverage from Mykael Wright on third down forced another unsuccessful field goal attempt from Toner - this time from 40 yards out.
- Shough ignited the next Oregon drive with a 25-yard gain. Then, on 3rd-&-8, Redd made an impressive catch for a gain of 15 yards to reach the Stanford 33.
- After Stanford was called for a pass interference, Cyrus Habibi-Likio had an unforced fumble that was recovered by Damuni.
- Wright was called for pass interference on Stanford’s next drive which brought the ball to the Oregon 35 but West was unable to lead his team to a first down.
- Shough used a couple of quick passes to Redd and Johnny Johnson III, respectively, to earn a first down and give Oregon some breathing room by reaching their own 14-yard line. Then, Stanford was called for a late hit on Shough and an illegal chop block on the defense that put the Ducks at the Stanford 40.
- Johnny Johnson III got Oregon near the end zone with a 38-yard reception, and two plays later, DJ Johnson caught his first touchdown pass from five yards out.
Ducks 14 - Cardinal 7
- Stanford ran out the clock on their final possession of the second quarter.