EUGENE, OREGON - The No. 9 Oregon Ducks (4-1, 1-1) hold a 10-7 lead over the California Golden Bears (1-4, 0-2) at Autzen Stadium at the half.
Anthony Brown: 14/19 - 162 YDS - 7 Car - 8 YDS
Chase Garbers: 10/17 - 72 YDS - 1 TD
TD SCORERS: (UO) Travis Dye (CAL) Chase Garbers, Jake Tonges
DUCK YARDS: 279 yards - 162 passing - 117 rushing
GOLDEN BEAR YARDS: 143 yards - 72 passing - 71 rushing
TURNOVERS FORCED: Ducks: 0 - Golden Bears: 2 (2 FUM)
1ST QUARTER NOTES
- The Ducks began with the ball and started at their own 30 due to a defensive holding called on a touchback.
- Oregon’s first four plays consisted of two run plays and two short passes to Travis Dye. In under two minutes the running back tallied 43 yards for the Ducks.
- A 10-yard pass to Jaylon Redd was negated due to a penalty called on Oregon, then an offensive holding proved too much to overcome later in the drive.
- The Ducks settled for a 49-yard field goal attempt, and Camden Lewis delivered to mark a new career best for the sophomore.
Ducks 3 - Golden Bears 0
(8 plays, 39 yards, 4:18)
- Quarterback Chase Garbers started Cal’s first drive with a 10-yard pass to Nikko Remigio to reach the Golden Bear 35.
- Running Back Damien Moore picked up 22 yards on four carries to reach Oregon territory.
- A 10-yard pass to Kekoa Crawford put the Golden Bears at the Duck 20, then four plays later Garbers connected with tight end Jake Tonges for a 9-yard touchdown to take the lead.
Golden Bears 7 - Ducks 3
(13 plays, 75 yards, 5:19)
- The Ducks started at their own 16 after a 14-yard return from Mykael Wright.
- Anthony Brown Jr. passed to Devon Williams for a 17-yard gain on the first play of the drive. Then found tight end Moliki Matavao for a 7-yard gain on the next play.
- On third-and-3, Dye ripped off a 24-yard run to reach the Cal 36.
- In three downs the Oregon offense only managed to gain 4 yards, and on fourth-and-6 at the Cal 32 Cristobal elected to go for it. Brown picked up just two yards with a short pass to Dye, resulting in a turnover on downs.
- Cal started their next drive at their own 30, then were aided by an offside penalty called on the Duck defense.
- On second-and-2, Garbers hit tight end Collin Moore for a 10-yard gain and a first down.
- The final play of the first quarter was a 6-yard scramble from Garbers on second down that put the Golden Bears at the Oregon 46 yard line
2ND QUARTER NOTES
- Cal continued their offensive success by gaining 10 yards on a run from Garbers on their first play of the second quarter.
- A 6-yard run from Christopher Brooks put the Golden Bears at the Oregon 30, but the drive stalled out, and on fourth-and-4 Coach Wilcox went for it. The result was a sack from Noah Sewell and a turnover on downs. A Duck defender was called for unsportsmanlike conduct on the play.
- The Ducks overcame a first-and-25 situation by connecting with Johnny Johnson III on consecutive passes: the first for a gain of 15 yards and the second for a gain of 23.
- Back-to-back runs from Dye tallied 17 total yards to earn a first down, but two consecutive penalties called on Oregon deflated the Duck drive.
- On second-and-20, Brown passed to Kris Hutson for a 6-yard gain. And on the next play again connected with Hutson who juked a defender to gain 10 on third-and-14, but defensive back Elijah Hicks ripped the ball from Hutson’s hands and Trey Paster recovered.
- Back-to-back runs from Brooks gained just 4 yards on Cal’s next drive, then a delay of game proved too much to handle. Cal was forced into their first three-and-out of the contest.
- On third-and-8, Brown threw to Williams for a 21-yard gain to pass midfield into Cal territory.
- Brown picked up 9 yards with his legs on the next play, then Dye followed that up with an 11-yard touchdown run to reclaim the lead for the Ducks
Ducks 10 - Golden Bears 7
(7 plays, 67 yards, 2:52)
- A pass to Remigio and a run from Moore netted 11 yards and a first down for the Golden Bears on their next drive, but the drive died soon after when Moore was taken down for a loss on the proceeding first down and Cal failed to recover the momentum.
- After forcing the punt the Ducks began the drive at their 16-yard line.
- Oregon marched down the field with runs from Dye and Brown, and with under 30 seconds remaining the Ducks were just out of field goal range. Unfortunately, Brown fumbled the ball and the Golden Bears recovered.
- Garbers was unable to pick up any yards in the final moments of the half due to an effective passrush from Oregon.